Buying or selling a home can be complicated. There’s a lot at stake, and a lot of details to manage. One of the best things you can do to ensure the entire process goes smoothly is to work with an experienced, qualified realtor. A good realtor will save you time and money and help you handle any problems that may occur along the way.
Let’s look at some of the top reasons you should work with a realtor, whether you’re buying or selling:
- Your realtor will help you price your home to sell: As the homeowner, it’s easy to think you know what your home is worth, but it’s best to get an objective, fact-based assessment from an expert. Your realtor will conduct research on comparable properties and has the knowledge of current market conditions needed to make sure you’re setting a competitive asking price that will attract buyers. If you’re concerned about the cost of paying a commission, don’t be: realtors, on average, are able to get a 15% higher selling price on a home, which more than covers the commission.
- Your realtor knows how to market your property: From staging and photography to listings, signage, and advertising, a realtor has the systems in place to get attention from interested and qualified buyers. Only real estate agents can get your home on the multiple listing service (MLS), which is the primary system used by agents and buyers to search for listings. Your agent will also advertise your home on their own website, on social media, in local newspapers, etc.
- Your realtor will show your home to buyers: We all have a lot of demands on our time and it’s not always practical to drop everything to show your home whenever a seller is interested. Your realtor will field calls, schedule showings, and walk potential buyers through the property for you.
- Your realtor will handle negotiations: One of the trickiest – and most important – aspects of the selling process is handling negotiations with potential buyers. Real estate agents handle negotiations all the time as part of their job, so you can be confident that they have the experience to look out for your best interests.
- Your realtor will handle the paperwork: There is a lot to understand about the legalities of the selling process, and the documentation involved. Mistakes can cost you money. It’s best to have someone with experience on your side to make sure all the paperwork is handled appropriately. Your agent will also help you engage a real estate attorney to handle transfer documents and closing.
- Your realtor knows the market: the real estate market is constantly changing, and it’s your agent’s job to keep up with the latest information. They know where to find the listings that you want to see the most. An experienced realtor has a good understanding of the local area and can help you narrow down where you want to look, which neighborhoods will suit you best, and what areas to avoid.
- Your realtor has lots of experience looking at homes: It’s what they do for a living, after all! A realtor’s expertise can go a long way when you’re viewing multiple properties or need to absorb a lot of information in a short period of time. Realtors know what to look for, what to avoid, and how to spot problems you might otherwise miss.
- Your realtor can get you showings: When inventory is low and homes are selling quickly, it can sometimes be difficult to schedule showings. Your agent has the contacts needed to make sure you get in to see the homes you’re most interested in.
- Your realtor will advise you on what to offer and negotiate on your behalf: A well-researched offer has a better chance of success, and a realtor is a professional negotiator who will use their knowledge to get you the best deal possible.
- Working with a realtor won’t cost you money: realtors get paid a commission on the sale price of the home, paid by the seller.
These are just a few of the many reasons it makes sense to work with a realtor. When it comes to one of the biggest financial transactions you’re likely to make in your lifetime, it pays to work with an experienced professional dedicated to serving your best interests!
Contact me to learn more about how I can help you make your next move, whether you’re buying or selling.